It’s the most natural thing in the world to imagine the New Year will be even more rocky than the old year, when you’re in a “life sucks” state of mind.
If looking ahead with dread makes you feel more prepared for whatever may come in 2018, go for it. Plenty of people prefer to expect the worst, in hopes of avoiding disappointment and the pain of dashed dreams.
Here’s the thing – As a wise man once said, “In life, you don’t get what you want. You get what you expect.” A self-fulfilling prophecy cuts both ways.
Expect the worst, and you very often get it. Expect the best, and you very often get it.
So, if you prefer to face 2018 with confidence instead of fear, here are some tips to help you make it happen.
Why faith in yourself is justified
- Did you start something new in 2017?
- Did you end something that was draining your energy?
- Did you reach a goal?
- Did you decide to let someone or something go?
- Did you jump on an opportunity and ride it out?
- Did you dodge a bullet?
- Did you forgive someone?
- Did you let yourself off the hook from doing something you never wanted to do?
- Did you give yourself permission to succeed?
- Did you give yourself permission to fail?
- Did you make a difference in someone’s life?
- Did you do something super-fun?
Whatever happened last year, you have acquired priceless information about what does and does not work for you. About what matters to you, and what doesn’t. About what you value, and what you hold cheap.
This knowledge equips you to make even smarter choices in 2018.
So, now what?
- Note your wins. Write down your accomplishments from the past year: the gains; the insights; the healing… The letting go of something unwanted; the overcoming of a challenge; the patient endurance of something that had to be endured; the surrender of the illusion of control over someone or something you can never, ever control.
- Savor your victories. Take a moment to re-live and savor the excitement, the relief, or the triumph you felt after each experience. Sometimes, simply surviving an ordeal counts as a victory … over circumstances, and over your own self-doubt.
3. Recognize you have a lot to be proud of. Consider: Were there any accomplishments you felt sure you would never pull off? And yet, you did pull them off. Congratulations!
4. Light up your brain. Hold each of your shining accomplishments in your mind for a moment, one by one. Imagine gathering them into a glittering bouquet of brilliance.
5. You stepped up before, so you can do it again. Look upon this glowing garland as proof that in 2018, you will be able to be, do and have more than you can imagine right now … just as you did in 2017.
6. Power it up. Picture yourself placing this light in your heart. Let it guide your steps as you walk into 2018 with confidence and joy.
7. Remember, you never walk alone. Whatever you do, whatever you choose … never think for a moment that you are doing it by yourself. Unseen forces come into play the moment you take action – creating momentum, generating opportunities and helping you over the hard places.
This year, consider praying to your Higher Power as your first response, rather than your last resort … and watch what happens.
There is genius, power and magic in you. Let it shine in the year to come, my dear!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail? Please share your thoughts in the box below. Thank you, and all the best to you!